The mission of the Division of Education at Rust College is to assist students through innovative teaching techniques in acquiring the necessary competencies and professional attitudes for service careers in Elementary and Secondary education, Early Childhood Education, and Child Care Management. The intent is to produce graduates who will assume responsible roles as educators throughout the nation and the world.
Major Areas of Study
To fulfill this mission, the Division of Education at Rust College provides a strong academic program which prepares caring, competent, creative educators, who are committed to professional excellence. The Division of Education offers Bachelor of Science degrees in the licensure areas of Elementary Education and Secondary Education and the non-licensure areas of Child Care Management and Early Childhood Education. The secondary education majors include Bachelor of Science degrees in Business Education, English Education, Biology Education, Mathematics Education, and Social Science Education.
- Prepare students to complete licensure requirements.
- Develop contributing community members by providing service learning opportunities.
- Assist students in developing competencies in subject-matter knowledge and professional skills.
- Instill in students a love of learning to pursue their career and professional development.
- Encourage each student to develop a genuine concern for and human sensitivity to the unique needs of diverse students.
- Evaluate the program offerings by assessing examination results, achievements of graduates, student and employer opinion, and alumni review.
- Assist students to enter the world of work and/or succeed in graduate studies.
Divisional Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of a program in Education students will be able to:
- Identify developmental appropriate objectives for lessons based on state frameworks and best practices.
- Demonstrate the use of acceptable written, oral, and non-verbal communication.
- Demonstrate knowledge of subject(s) taught.
- Evaluate and adjust the classroom environment to enhance social relationships, motivation, and learning.
- Interpret assessment criteria and performance standards to be applied to the students.