Rust College Chief of Staff Position Rust College, 150 Rust Avenue, Holly Springs, MS 38635
Summary of the position
The Chief of Staff (COS) is a trusted advisor to the President of Rust College and a key member of the Rust College cabinet, while providing management, leadership and oversight to critical areas of the college and performs a broad range of duties on behalf of the President. The COS manages special projects including matters involving college officials, and community and government leaders. The COS will facilitate and foster agile and innovative ideas and programs to achieve organizational outcomes and overall success. The COS develops relationships that lead to positive morale, increased efficiency and effectiveness. The position requires a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a directly related field, an Ed.D (Doctor of Education), or Ph.D. in an academic discipline. Additionally, a minimum of 7 years in a business or executive management role or an administrative academic role is desired. Additionally, the COS will be a demonstrated strategic and innovative thinker known for being a collaborative leader. Demonstrated experience organizing and directing multiple teams and/or departments is essential. The COS must be committed to Rust College success and an excellent communicator in written and verbal form. The COS will be extremely versatile and dedicated to efficient productivity with the ability to affect change in highly confidential, team-oriented environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates with the President and other senior officers in institutional planning, policy development, and problem resolution.
- Recommends and participates in the development of college policies and procedures; may serve on university planning and policy-making committees.
- Serves as the President’s primary liaison with the college, government, and/or community leadership on strategic and operational matters pertaining to the specific area of institutional interest.
- Gathers, investigates, researches, analyzes, and/or studies information affecting college-wide, intradepartmental, or interdepartmental operations.
- Coordinates special projects on behalf of the President, frequently involving senior officers of the college.
- Reviews, researches, and recommends new or revised policies and strategies, as appropriate to the area of interest, and prepares reports and other communications on behalf of the President.
- Assists administration in various cost analyses, projections, reports, and fundraising efforts.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in service meetings and workshops.
- Responds to routine inquiries as delegated by the President.
- Supports the President in dealing with faculty, staff, and student issues.
- Oversees the supervision of assigned personnel per the President’s direction.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Master’s degree; at least 7 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge and understanding of institutional policies and procedures and the regulatory environment within which they operate.
- Strategic planning skills.
- Knowledge of grant writing and fundraising programs, methods, and techniques.
- Knowledge of the goals, objectives, structure and operations of a small private college.
- Knowledge of human resources and personnel issues, including Title IX.
- Knowledge of cost analysis techniques.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgements.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions.
- Ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit correspondence and other written materials.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Knowledge and understanding of social media and general marketing techniques appropriate for higher education.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively work with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
The COS must be an energetic, student-oriented professional that is eager to drive change while working to strengthen the Rust College team. In addition to professional criteria, it is critical that this individual possess the highest integrity and be committed to the mission of Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
Send cover letter of interest in the position and resume to: Ms. Patricia Pegues, HR Coordinator, Rust College, 150 Rust Avenue, Holly Springs, MS 39635. 662-252-8000, Ext 4010